Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fahrenheit 450

So this is what it’s like at Fahrenheit 450.
We’re almost at burning temperature, we almost have walls that talk and we almost don’t have to talk to each other face-to-face.
Every person is a newscast now, a live wire in this war called life. Everyone’s boiling with commotion and I’m steaming.
They might as well discontinue the pencil, it’s gone the way of the abacus: an entry between Penchi and pencil pusher.
My dictionary’s smoldering as I take the time to look it up: “the individual style or ability of an artist”
Do we need individuals anymore?
Join a group, make friends, comment in a 100 characters or less. Throw all those spelling tests into the fire and
Soon it will be burning bright. Paging Guy Montag: spring forth from the yellowing pages, sir! Here’s the order:
“Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so damned full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change. Don't give them any slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy.”
It’s getting hotter by the day, burning heat and we keep getting dumber.
“I want to see everything now. And while none of it will be me when it goes in, after a while it'll all gather together inside and it'll be me. Look at the world out there, my God, my God, look at it out there, outside me, out there beyond my face and the only way to really touch it is to put it where it's finally me, where it's in the blood, where it pumps around a thousand times ten thousand a day. I get hold of it so it'll never run off. I'll hold on to the world tight some day. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning.”
It’s 450 degrees and I’m sweating. My books are brown and I feel like a pencil getting chewed up in an electric sharpener.
Getting chewed up before being thrown into the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment